Saturday, March 23, 2013

Ripple Effect


rip′ple effect` 
n.
a spreading effect or series of consequences caused by a single action or event.
[1965–70]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

I had never really given much consideration to the ripple effect. While I have certainly made mistakes in my life, I have witnessed the first hand and sometimes the second hand results of my actions but I never really thought much beyond that point. Until now, that is.

I have always believed I could make a difference in this world. I was a police officer in Montgomery, Alabama. I thought for sure I was going to rid the world of the evil that lurks and preys on innocent people. Sure I made many arrests, some with fellow runner Paul Norcross, but there seemed to be ten bad guys to replace the one we took to jail. Then I thought maybe, just maybe, it would be with my music. After all, this year will be my 28th year playing guitar. But much to my surprise (sarcastically), no. 

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't about me. This is about an idea God gave me and how He made it work. I knew what I was doing for Michael was a good thing because of feedback I received from him and his mom, Mary. Soon there were people wanting to join in, which I thought was amazing!

Now it's time for the ripple effect.

I had just a limited picture of what was really taking place and how people were reacting – that is until I received a comment from Laura Chapman whose son Ben has been paired up with "I Run For..." runner Peter Flagg.

"I wanted to let you all know that I Run for... is now a daily topic in our house. The kids are always asking how far Peter Flagg ran or biked for that day. They ask what others have done and for whom. My older kids are shocked at how many athletes are willingly doing this. You see before we moved from CA, they were never accepted and were always outcasts, even to adults, due to their special needs. They are much more accepted here, but still find it shocking to hear of others actually reaching out to those that are differently abled. So not are you only reaching out and helping those you are paired with, but you are giving some older children some hopes again."

Now I don't know about you, but this warms my heart! Especially since Laura adopted Ben, now there is a HUGE heart! You can read Ben's story here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/laura-spencer-chapman/99-fetal-alcohol-syndrome-awareness-day/135031330765

I would love nothing more than to make these ripples into tidal waves. So I have to ask, who do you run for?