Tuesday, March 19, 2013

When the whole "I Run" movement started back in January, I had never dreamed it would take off like it has. I just knew I felt really good about running for my buddy, Michael. When I told my good friend Kerri about it, she decided to bring me in for an "on air" interview at the local Christian radio station, Your Q-FM, with her and Josh (The Q Morning Crew).

That interview seemed to be the catalyst in the popularity explosion. It was such an amazing feeling to know people out there cared and loved what I was doing! Moreover, people wanted to participate, to join in the movement. Within a week I had created a facebook page I Run For... and I was pairing up (with God's help) runners with other blessed people. Shortly there after, the facebook I Run For Group was formed.

So let me fast forward to the present day... "I Run For..." (IR4) has grown to some pretty amazing heights in its short existence. In two months it has reached Australia and Canada with thirty-one pairings as of this writing! I have to admit, I was pretty tickled when I was trying to locate a previous post and it seriously took a long time to reach the bottom of the page!

To me, this is all great, but what makes it outstanding to me is watching everyone's posts! It's remarkably uplifting to see so many people caring for others. Parents have been posting pictures and videos of their sweet children and it just melts my heart to get a peek into their lives. Here is what Carol Dublin had to say about it...

"I am training for a half marathon to raise money for clean water in Haiti through Team World Vision. But even more important than that, I run for Bennett.
 Bennett is a 19-month-old boy with Down Syndrome, and as he struggles with therapy to learn how to walk, I keep running in his honor.
 In fact, some days the only thing that gets me to the end of a run is knowing that I am running for Bennett.
 A pulled hamstring several weeks ago made me change my goal from the full to the half marathon, since suddenly I was sidelined to the elliptical trainer instead of running the miles I needed to run to be ready for the race.
 Now that I am back to running and as I slowly increase my distances, there is still a bit of discomfort. Part of me wants to stop. But then I think of Bennett, and how hard he is working  in therapy. And I keep going.
It amazes me how connected I feel to this little boy and his parents even though we have never met. I hope someday we will meet, but in the meantime – I’ll keep running. And training. And racing. For Bennett."
Submitted by Carol Dublin, http://caroldublin.com

Peter Flagg, one of our newest members, shared his heart on our page...
"Hello everyone. I am a newbie here, was told about this group by Russ Endurancecoach, and contacted Tim Boyle about pairing me up. 
Well, I was teamed up with my new friend Ben, his mother Laura Spencer Chapman and I are now friends here on FB. I just got done reading his story and it is very touching. In fact here is the story...https://www.facebook.com/notes/laura-spencer-chapman/99-fetal-alcohol-syndrome-awareness-day/135031330765... Read it please.
 Reading it I found a bonding instantly because I am a RN, I've worked in ER and ICU setting for years and now work a desk job that I love. Some of the most horrible stuff I've seen has all been related to drugs and alcohol so his story just touched me deeply. 

Ben, you might not be able to run, bike or swim but don't worry bud, I got your back for that. Today, I did a bike ride of 17.86 miles for you. Each day, I usually rest on Mondays but all the other days I will do my workout dedicated to you and please know that in no way am I a hero, you and your mom are, you guys are the true fighters I will just be your vessel for running, biking and swimming."
One word... Remarkable!
please share this link so we can all grow together.

Until Next week, "Who do YOU run for?"
Tim Boyle
Founder/Executive Director "I Run For..."